Excellence Through Analysis
Accurate measurements and industry expertise are crucial when designing tailored solutions for industrial water treatment systems. Garratt-Callahan combines both in its state-of-the-art, ELAP-certified analytical and testing laboratory in Burlingame, CA. G-C’s in-house experts use advanced analytical tools and procedures to provide you with excellence in analysis and testing, and assist our field technicians and engineers:
- Assess your industrial water system,
- Analyze your system’s water quality, and,
- Reassess your system upon our proposed solution’s deployment.
In-House Analytical and Testing Laboratory
Answers to Your Questions
With our state-of-the-art analytical and testing laboratory, you can conduct the analyses needed to assess your installation and design the best-suited treatment program for your system. Garratt-Callahan’s in-house laboratory assists you with answering your most difficult treatment questions, and continuously track the health and performance of your facility, thanks to:
- Highly skilled, experienced, and research-oriented scientists and representatives,
- A comprehensive suite of analytical methods and testing equipment, and
- Reliable, scientific, and repeatable measurements.
G-C’s full suite of analysis and testing services covers your whole installation from industrial water to piping and membranes by assessing all relevant physical, chemical, and microbiological parameters, in water and on metal coupons.
- Wet chemical analyses (pH, conductivity, alkalinity, sulfite)
- Trace metals analyses by ICP
- Anions and amines analyses by UC
- ISE analyses (fluoride, total residual chlorine, ammonia)
- HPLC analyses (glycols, azoles, organic acids)
- UV-Vis analyses (phosphates, polymers, hexavalent chromium)
- Aggregate organic constituents (COD, Oil & Grease, TRPH, MBAS)
- Solid analyses (TSS, TDS, TS) and turbidity analysis
- Particle size and count analysis
- Regulatory drinking water and wastewater analysis*
- XRD compound identification (e.g., calcite, hydroxyapatite, magnetite)
- XRF elemental analysis (Na through U)
- FTIR analysis
- Microbiological examination
- Loss on Ignition
- Ion-exchange resin analysis
- Corrosion coupon evaluation
- Product formula analysis
- Corrosion and failure analysis
- Photomicrography and microscopy services
Here are a few applications of these analyses:
If you need information on other applications not mentioned here, please contact us or check our case studies.
Data and Process Quality
For more than a century, G-C has made consistent quality a priority across all its processes and procedures. Our laboratory’s Quality Assurance Program ensures rigorous quality control throughout each sample chain of custody and provides guidance and documentation for all operations associated with the production, integrity, and traceability of analytical data, such as:
- Regular updates and maintenance of all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all laboratory analyses and equipment, field-deployed chemicals and test kits,
- Calibration of all laboratory and field-testing equipment according to manufacturer’s recommendations and regulatory requirements,
- Up-to-date certifications of the laboratory and its components,
- Relevant laboratory and field personnel training,
- Traceability and secure storage of all analytical and testing data collected from our customers’ systems,
- Regular Quality Control checks on customers’ data, as well as field and lab equipment.
With its ELAP-certified laboratory, G-C’s quality analytical and testing services allow you to maintain regulatory compliance with California’s drinking and wastewater quality requirements and federal EPA standards.
Garratt-Callahan has been providing constant innovation in the field of industrial water treatment since our invention of the Magic Boiler Preservative in 1904. We are continuously challenged and inspired by your specific needs. Today, G-C’s laboratory and its staff in Burlingame, CA constitute the keystone of G-C’s Research and Development efforts, the birthplace of new treatment concepts and ideas, and the perfect platform to test, refine, and optimize novel commercial solutions.
Testing for Water Treatment Systems
Garratt-Callahan’s analytical and testing laboratory personnel and technical departments stand with you to resolve your most difficult challenges. As your trusted treatment partner, you gain from our century-old expertise in the domain of industrial water treatment, along with modern testing equipment, chemical and microbial assays, tailored sampling procedures and constant field support.
Discover here how Garratt-Callahan has partnered with its clients to tackle their concerns.
- Cooling Towers
- Filtration Systems (UF/NF/RO)
- Waste & Drinking Water
If you need information regarding other challenges not mentioned here, please contact us or check our case studies.
Schedule an Onsite Consultation
Garratt-Callahan’s industrial water treatment experience started with servicing the boilers in the steam engines that powered the industrial revolution. Our tradition of service continues today in facilities that use high-efficiency boilers, cooling towers, and water management systems to enable the data centers powering the information age and the cloud storage revolution. Our water treatment expertise, chemical applications, equipment maintenance, and customer service is more than just 100+ years of field experience, building trusted partnerships and long-lasting relationships.
"*" indicates required fields
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an analytical testing laboratory?
It is a facility where professionals use scientific equipment and procedures to conduct precise measurements and determine the physical, chemical, and microbial characteristics of a sample.
What are the three types of water quality parameters?
Physical: turbidity, temperature, particle size and count, TSS, corrosion analysis.
Chemical: pH, conductivity, organic and inorganic compounds, e.g. dissolved metals, TDS.
Microbial: biofilms, bacteria, algae, fungi, and microorganisms are known to cause or contribute to corrosion.
What is the purpose of analysis and testing in industrial systems?
Regular analysis and testing of samples taken from an industrial system allow for monitoring the health of all the components in the system and assessing whether corrective action needs to be taken to maintain peak system performance, as is the case with uncontrolled fouling, scaling corrosion, or microbial growth.